Lapin a La Cocotte
Lapin a La Cocotte is the French way for serving Rabbit!
- 3 pounds rabbit, quartered
- 2 tablespoons bacon fat *
- 1½ cups sliced onions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper
- In a medium-sized Dutch oven or heavy flat-bottomed roasting pan, melt the bacon fat.
- Add the onions and garlic.
- Cook until translucent; remove from the pan.**
- Add the rabbit pieces and sauté over medium heat until rabbit is golden brown on each side.
- Sprinkle on the flour and continue to brown rabbit for another 5 minutes or so, then add the onions and garlic back in the pan along with the chicken stock, red wine, thyme, parsley and bay leaves.
- With a wooden spoon, stir the bottom of the pan to loosen the browned bits on the bottom.
- Cover and simmer over low heat for about an hour, adding more stock if necessary. Salt and pepper to taste.