Baked Potato Soup
Today we feature Baked Potato Soup which is a perfect meal for the cool days of Fall! This soup is budget friendly and will ensure that you have a warm hearty meal on the table. This is another award winning soup from Suzanne over at Chickens In the Road. We have been enjoying this soup for a few years now.
You can fix a lot of the ingredients ahead of time and then put the soup together at the end. This makes it easy for those long days when you need a great meal and time is short. You can use your imagination to modify it however you want depending on what you think should be in a loaded baked potato.
- 4 large baking potatoes
- 10 strips of peppered bacon
- ⅔ cup butter
- ⅔ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 7 cups milk
- 1 cup cheese, shredded (cheddar or pepper jack or whatever you like!)
- 8 ounces sour cream
- ¾ teaspoon seasoned salt
- Bake potatoes; cool, peel, and cut up.
- While potatoes are baking, fry bacon. Cool and crumble.
- In a large soup pot, melt butter.
- Add flour and chopped onion.
- Once butter/flour/onion mixture thickens and bubbles, add the milk, cheese, sour cream, potatoes, and seasoned salt.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in crumbled bacon.
- Serve immediately.
- Note: If you use regular bacon, add ½ teaspoon of coarse ground pepper. Or, add some coarse ground pepper even if you do use peppered bacon. As much as I love this soup, this soup loves pepper!
I hope you take the time to give this soup a chance. Baked Potato Soup is a great welcome on those cool days!